Netflix‘s new Arthurian fantasy series Cursed stars 13 Reasons Why‘s Katherine Langford as Nimue, a young Fey woman with access to great magic, who becomes the wielder of the Sword of Power (known in traditional Arthurian legends as Excalibur). Cursed was adapted for TV by Tom Wheeler and Frank Miller, from their illustrated book of the same name.
Cursed offers a unique spin on Arthurian myths that strays from the usual canon, with characters like Uther Pendragon, Merlin, Arthur and Igraine present in the story – but not as audiences are used to seeing them. The series sees Nimue struggling to save the Fey from a brutal cleansing by the Church, who want to wipe out fairykind altogether. Meanwhile, Uther struggles to hold onto the English throne in the face of public discontent, ill rumors, and a Viking king who wants to claim the throne for himself.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
The cast of Cursed also includes Ozark‘s Peter Mullan, Vikings‘ Gustaf Skarsgård, and Humans‘ Bella Dayne. Here’s a complete (spoiler-free) guide to the cast and characters of Cursed.
Cursed’s Main Cast and Characters
- Katherine Langford as Nimue – A member of the Sky Folk clan, shunned by her fellow Fey due to the belief that she has a demonic blood curse. Langford is known for her roles in the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why and the murder-mystery film Knives Out.
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Merlin – The royal court magician, who has served many other kings before Uther Pendragon. Son of actor Stellan Skarsgård and brother of actors Alexander and Bill Skarsgård, Gustaf Skarsgård is best known for playing Floki in Vikings.
- Devon Terrell as Arthur – A brigand with dreams of nobility, who finds himself falling for Nimue after a chance meeting. Terrell played the lead role in Barry, a Netflix film about the early life of President Barack Obama.
- Sebastian Armesto as Uther Pendragon – The temperamental King of England, who is desperate to get his hands on the Sword of Power. Armesto appeared in AMC’s horror anthology series The Terror and Hulu’s Harlots.
- Shalom Brune-Franklin as Igraine – A nun who helps Nimue when she is forced to hide out in a convent. Brune-Franklin starred in the Australian TV show Bad Mothers and the BBC series Our Girl.
- Peter Mullan as Father Carden – The leader of the Red Paladins, who believes that the Fey are evil and need to be “cleansed” out of existence. Mullan is known for his roles in Netflix series Ozark and HBO’s Westworld.
- Daniel Sharman as The Weeping Monk - The terrifying specter of the Red Paladins, who has unique abilities to track down the Fey. Sharman is best known for playing Isaac Lahey in Teen Wolf and Troy Otto in Fear the Walking Dead.
- Emily Coates as Sister Iris – A ruthlessly pious young nun from Igraine’s convent, who takes an immediate disliking to Nimue. Coates has previously appeared in the British TV series Ladhood and Warren.
- Lily Newmark as Pym – Nimue’s best friend in her home village, who fears being betrothed to a smelly fisherman. Newmark played Lexi in Solo: A Star Wars Story and Ruthie in the Netflix series Sex Education.
- Billy Jenkins as Squirrel – A brave and feisty boy who is one of Nimue’s only friends in the village. Jenkins played a young Prince Charles in The Crown and Seraph Sam in Humans.
- Matt Stokoe as Gawain – Also known as the Green Knight, Gawain is an old friend of Nimue’s who helps smuggle Fey folk to safety after their villages have been burned. Stokoe played James Read in historical drama Jamestown and John Segrave in Outlaw King.
- Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Cumber the Ice King – A cheerfully brutal Viking king who believes that he is the rightful heir to the throne of England, not Uther. Jóhannesson played Lem Lemoncloak in Game of Thrones and Johans in Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.
Cursed’s Supporting Cast & Characters
- Nikolaj Dencker Schmidt as Dof – A handsome Viking who is part of the Red Spear’s raiding crew.
- Catherine Walker as Lenore – Nimue’s mother and the Sky Folk’s head priestess.
- Polly Walker as Lady Lunete – Uther Pendragon’s mother, the former Queen Regent.
- Adaku Ononogbo as Kaze (pictured) – A Fey warrior who fights alongside Nimue.
- Peter Guinness as Sir Ector – Arthur’s uncle and the Lord of Gramaire.
- Sophie Harkness as Sister Celia – A nun with whom Igraine is very close.
- Zoe Waites as The Widow – An ominous figure who claims the dead.
- Bella Dayne as The Red Spear – A Viking warrior who challenges Umber’s claim.
- Youssef Kerkour as Pellam the Fisherman – An assassin with grisly methods.
- Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as Rugen the Leper King – A Shadow Lord who rules over a kingdom of lepers.
- Bryony Miller as Briony – A barmaid at a pub that Merlin frequents
- Angus Wright as Sir Steuben – Head of the guard in Gramaire.
- Olwen Fouéré as Yeva – An ill-tempered Moon Wing witch.
- Selva Rasalingam as Dizier – A smuggler of Fey refugees.